Maple Leaf Pharmacy Robber Gets 15 Years

The man convicted of robbing two pharmacies in Maple Leaf and Ballard at gunpoint in 2008 will spend the next 15 years in federal prison.

From the DOJ:

   JACOB HARLEY SHOOK, 30, of Seattle, Washington was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Seattle to 15 years in prison and five years of supervised release for two counts of pharmacy robbery, one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm and one count of brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence.  SHOOK was originally charged in state court, but asked to have his case transferred to federal court so that he could take advantage of drug treatment and rehabilitation offerings in federal prison and with the federal probation system.  At sentencing U.S. District Judge Marsha J. Pechman told him, “You’ve got to work on the drug addiction and the mental health issues… When you get out of prison, if you don’t stay clean and sober (the federal probation officer) will snatch you out of your shoes and you’ll be right back here.” 

From our story last year:

Prosecutors say that on December 21st, Shook walked into the Maple Leaf Pharmacy on 88th and Roosevelt wearing a scarf over his face. Shook then allegedly hopped the back counter, pointed a gun at a pharmacist, and demanded OxyContin pills.

Court records say Shook became angry during the robbery, and pushed the pharmacist to the ground using the barrell of his gun. He then allegedly took three bottles of OxyContin and fled.

Pharmacy employees say Shook had come in to the store several hours earlier to “case” the business, and returned several hours later with a gun. Shook was captured on surveillance video, and police were able to identify him by distinctive tattoos on his neck.

Eight days later, Hooks allegedly pulled off a similar robbery at a Walgreens in Ballard. Shook, again wearing a scarf over his face, pulled a gun on pharmacy staff, and demanded OxyContin. Court records say pharmacy employees were unable to get OxyContin—which was stored in a time-locked safe—and offered up morphine and Oxycodone instead. Records say Shook put the drugs in his backpack and fled. Police K9 units tracked Shook for several blocks, but the trail went cold.