Smoking Crack: Still Dangerous

Seattle Police say a resident’s failed attempt to light her crack pipe caused last week’s apartment fire in a Capitol Hill Seattle Housing Authority building.

The Monday January 24th incident didn’t injure anyone and did about $30,000 worth of smoke damage to the unit in the low income Olive Ridge Apartments, according to Seattle Fire.

According to the affidavit filed for a search warrant in the investigation of the incident, the woman who lived in the apartment unit told a fire investigator she was trying to light a crack pipe with a lit chopstick. When that failed, the investigator said the woman told him she went to borrow a lighter from another resident and dropped the chopstick on her couch.

There have been no charges filed against the woman who has an extensive criminal history.