The Weekend Blotter

Man Robbed At Gunpoint In Volunteer Park:

On August 27th at approximately 12:30 p.m. officers responded to a park in the 1200 block of 15th Avenue East for the report of an armed robbery of a citizen.  Preliminary investigation indicates that the victim (a Renton man) was driving through the park when an unknown male (the suspect) waived him down.  When the victim stopped his car to see what the suspect wanted, the suspect opened the passenger door and got into the car. 

The suspect pulled out a black revolver and robbed the victim of his cash.  The suspect then fled through the park on foot.  Responding officers were unable to locate the suspect, who remains at large.  The victim was not injured.

The suspect is described as a thin-built white male in his 30′s, six feet tall, with stringy brown hair, a goatee, bad teeth and wearing a green shirt and baseball cap.  The suspect produced the handgun from a brown, woven shoulder bag.

Anyone with information about this incident, or who may know the identity or whereabouts of the suspect is asked to call 911 or Seattle Police immediately and refer to this incident.  Anonymous tips are welcome.

Police Arrest Man For Torching Downtown Hotel Room:

On August 24th an adult male suspect checked into a room at a hotel in the 1100 block of 5th Avenue for a three day stay.  On August 25th at approximately 6:29 p.m. the hotel’s fire alarm and automatic sprinklers went off as a result of three fires being set in the suspect’s room.  The suspect apparently escaped the fire through a window to the back alley and fled the scene. 

Responding officers quickly followed up on leads in order to apprehend the suspect, but were unsuccessful in locating him.  Arson-Bomb Squad detectives responded to the scene and began their investigation.    

On August 26th at approximately 5:58 p.m. the suspect in the arson showed up at the hotel’s front desk wanting to pick up the property he left in his room the night before.  The alert receptionist called 911.

Officers responded quickly and arrested the 37-year-old male suspect, who was subsequently booked into the King County Jail for Investigation of Arson.

Arson-Bomb Squad detectives continue to actively investigate.

Community Center Basketball Game Ends In Brawl

On 8/26/11, at approximately 11:30 p.m., an officer was working at the late-night basketball tournament, at the Southwest Community Center. Minor fights were breaking out inside the gymnasium, and the officer requested several patrol units to assist with clearing the community center when the game ended.

Before the game ended, there were several reports of firearms being seen in the crowd, and a large-scale melee erupted inside the gym. Several people were struck with chairs, and reports continued of guns being present, although officers did not see any. Officers worked to move the hostile crowd of approximately 200 people out of the building and disperse them. South precinct and SWAT units responded to assist.

Fights continued in the parking lot for approximately 20 minutes. The crowd was eventually brought under control, some leaving in vehicles, others dispersing eastbound on Thistle toward Delridge.

No officers were injured during the incident, although many were grabbed and pushed by the crowd