Today In Fuzz: Man wounded in Rainier Beach shooting, Woman targeted in BB drive-by, tips needed in US Attorney killing, felon arrested after standoff with SPD, and copper wire thieves.
1) A 22-year-old man was wounded in a shooting in South Seattle Wednesday afternoon near Rainier Ave S. and Sturtevant Ave S.—not far from Rainier Beach High School. Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore said the man was shot in his legs and was conscious following the shooting.
2) In less serious shooting news, a woman was targeted in a drive-by BB shooting in the Central District Saturday morning. The woman was standing at a bus stop on 23rd Ave. and E. John St. at 4:45 am when a maroon “80’s style boxy 4-door car with tinted windows” drove past her.
The driver of the vehicle pulled a u-turn, and fired a pellet gun at her as he passed by, before he sped off down 22nd Ave E.
The woman called her boyfriend to give her a ride to work, and reported the incident to police. She was not injured.
3) The FBI and US Attorney’s office have begun an new campaign to dredge up new clues in the 2001 murder of Assistant US Attorney Tom Wales, who was shot and killed in his Queen Anne home on October 11, 2001.
The FBI is taking out billboards, running newspaper ads, and has opened a website and Twitter feed to try to get tips from the public in the case.
4) A SWAT team arrested an 18-year-old felon wanted for robbery after a standoff in Skyway early this morning.
Gang unit detectives spotted the man driving in South Seattle last night, and tried to pull him over because they had received information that he had a gun.
After a pursuit, the man drove into an apartment complex, crashed into a parked car, and fled.
A King County Sheriff’s deputy spotted the suspect in a home in Skyway later that night and called Seattle police.
SWAT and gang detectives showed up at the home, but the man refused to come outside.
Police eventually called in a negotiator, but the man never came outside the home.
SWAT eventually stormed the home around 3:30 am and found the man hiding in a crawl space.
Court records indicate the man was already arrested earlier this month and released after he snatched a chain from a woman.
5) Police arrested two men in Ballard early last Friday after neighbors called 911 and reported the men were stealing copper wire from power poles.
Shortly before 4:00 am, two witnesses called police and reported two men had cut the wire from light poles on NW 67th and 5th NW, and then left in a white Dodge Caravan.
Officers stopped the van on NW 65th St. and arrested the men for theft.
Police later served a search warrant on the van and found eight pieces of copper wire, a saw, metal grinder, bolt cutters, and several pry bars.